The beginning ....

The beginning ....
our engagement night!

Monday, September 6, 2010

DC and Georgetown



















Sorry for the delay in getting this blog out, but DC was so wonderful that we spent most of our time exploring and didn’t have much time for anything else! As tough as it was to top NY, DC did it. Here’s a brief synopsis of what we did….and then I’ll get to the good stories.

We hit every major historic landmark, accompanied by perfect weather. Pictures were taken all over this truly amazing city….and Georgetown, which we absolutely loved. It is definitely a place we will return to. We enjoyed amazing food and views at the W Hotel, strolled along the Potomac, and walked through the lovely homes in our nation’s capital.

OK, now for the funny stuff……

For all of you who have never visited DC, when you open the map that is handed out at every hotel, the section that is listed as “the mall” isn’t actually a mall at all. It’s just an area around the Smithsonian that they call a “mall.” Yes, I spent two days searching for my idea of a mall…. a food court, Banana Republic and a Foot Locker. I searched all around the hallowed monuments looking for something that didn’t exist; and my bride silently, and with girlish humor, allowed me to continue to search with futile efforts as I literally walked over the actual mall numerous times. It wasn’t my finest moment. However, I would have strolled over those grounds a thousand times….they were that beautiful.
The only thing negative that I have to say about DC, was the fact that everyone was asking for money to feed the homeless…..and it must have been working, because I’ve never seen so many obese street dwellers before. Yes, the homeless in DC were fat! It was quite ironic being asked to help feed overweight people (home or no home). It was a perplexing enigma. Megan suspiciously noticed that the city was lacking the usual pigeon population normally associated with a city this size. Draw your own correlations….. In response to all the donation requests, Megan finally suggested that the next time someone asks, we should offer to buy them a gym membership instead of a meal!
Speaking of the gym, we had a little incident at the YMCA in which I inadvertently was turned into a Peeping Tom. Let me explain…… Our hotel came with day passes to the gym, so we decided to get in a quick workout before splurging on dinner in Georgetown. Upon entering the facility, we were told that Megan couldn’t have her purse on the workout floor and that we would have to get a locker. So, being a gentleman, I walked my bride down to the lobby to get a locker. We were informed to take our pass to the 6th floor and trade it for a lock and key. What the attendant didn’t tell us was that the 6th floor was the women’s lock room. Yes, the elevator opens directly into the dressing room. I bumped my knee and almost fell as I frantically ran to the stairs covering my eyes, as a lady continued to yell at me to, “Get out! This is the women’s room. Get out!” It really wasn’t fun to stay at the YMCA.
We left this morning and headed to Virginia Beach where Nick and Sarah picked us up……what happened from there is deserving of a blog all to itself……stay tuned.




As always, we love and miss you all…..






2 comments:

  1. c'mon Danny...you really thought there was a shopping mall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes John, unfortunately I did...... I've been a "west coaster" way too long!

    ReplyDelete