The beginning ....

The beginning ....
our engagement night!

Friday, September 3, 2010

Street Meat

Two words for you: street meat. Yes, you heard me, street meat!

NY is famous for their local vendors on almost every corner in the Time Square area; selling kabobs, falafel, and other mysterious concoctions that smell absolutely delicious. I dare not question the frequency that they clean the aforementioned portable mini kitchens, nor do I ask to see their latest health inspection report. All I care about is that their tender meat and succulent vegetables satisfy my midnight cravings.
My new bride thought I was crazy for eating questionable meat from a cart on the side of the road, and after the first experience, her worries had merit. The genius of street meat is that it’s fast, fantastic and affordable…..that is unless the vendor thinks you were born yesterday. Note of caution, if the prices aren’t posted in advanced, ask first. There is nothing like haggling over the price of a kabob as you salivate as if Pavlov himself has just rung your bell, knowing the reward is inches (or dollars) away.
Long story short, I was offered the “meat” at a price of $7, but I negotiated its release for only $4, along with some foreign word that I can only assume was an admonishment of my frugality and shrewdness in these business matters.
After this experience, Megan kept urging me to go get more the next night, so we could laugh yet again at the magnificent, albeit suspect city, that we came to love…….until next time, stay classy New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment